Monday, October 12, 2009

First Week in Praia

Hey everyone hows it going? Things are going good here and I guess Im adjusting pretty well cause I see all sorts of crazy things and dont even think twice about them anymore. I see things like pigs walking around on peoples huts, chickens all over the streets, goats chasing the stray dogs around, and dogs that are so gross that you can hardly even tell they are dogs, they just have blood and flies all over them, I donÂșt even see how they are alive. Praia also has music blasted up always and lots of american music, I seriously here more american music here than you guys do there, its always a party here with people drinking and blasting up their music in the streets, even the old people! There is a huge river that goes down along the street by us but its dry and you cant even see the ground cause it has piles of trash. We got tons of rain though for 2 days so everything was flooding, I got soaked but it was a good break from the heat. >

> It is also way to hot here!!! I guess it says it is about 80 but with humidity and the direct sun all day it feels so much worse than that! I would give anthing for some cold weather! I havent stopped sweating since I arrived here, even when we are in our apartment. We have two fans in our apartment and one of them I put write next to my face whenever we are studying or sleeping. We also only get running water for part of the morning every other day. Its all good though, I am adjusting. >

> So the people are pretty cool here, most of them are super outgoing to me and love to talk with me, but some just like to speak Creole so they make fun of me when I cant. The kids will run up to me too and just give me five or ask me to do magic or something like that (I guess because Im white they think I can do magic or something cause it happens ten times a day). They are really funny though, there are some people that I always look forward to teaching. We teach so many lessons, our area is really good for that! The area authority for our area from portugual in the first quorom of the 70 (Who I met in Lisboa on the plane and talked to for a while) made it a goal to teach 21 lessons here per week and this week me and Elder Sequeira taught 32 and most of them we teach with members which is really good. We also have 4 investigators with baptism dates. The church is doing good here but there are also tons of inactives so we work with them a ton. There are also some really faithful members and they work really hard so that the church can grow! I love going to church here cause even though its a lot smaller than what we have, it isnt any different and the spirit is still the same. My companion is a native and he makes sure we work really hard because he wants the church to grow here so bad! He is always asking about church in America and about all of our temples and everything. The people here are awesome and I love working with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment