Monday, November 9, 2009

Nov 9, Letter Home

Everything is going good here! Last Saturday I performed my first baptism which was way cool. It was with the seventeen year old named Jó and I was really excited when he said he wanted me to do it! The night before it we went to go fill up the font but we couldnt get any water out of it and nobody could figure it out so we were just planning on doing it in the ocean which got me even more excited! However at the last minute our President called a water truck to fill it, but it was still really cool! If you get the pictures I send, he is the one in the pic. So besides that there is a huge epidemic going on here with the dengue, the disease from the mosquitos. There are 9000 people that have it here between three islands and its just getting worse every day. A few people have even died from it but they were already unhealthy. But you guys dont need to sit around worrying about me wondering if I will get it cause I can already answer that for you now... I got it. I have had it for about 3 and a half weeks now and it usually takes about a month to get rid of. Its getting better for me now and i am still able to work everyday. I just had an outrageous head ache all the time and my left eye was swollen shut a lot of the time and I never had energy. Its all leaving though and I feel a lot better so no need to worry! Cabo Verde had one day this week though where they tried to get rid of the mosquitos though. They have trash EVERYWHERE, the streets, the dried of rivers, everywhere! So on this day they just lit all of it on fire so lately Ive been walking around and there are just trash fires everywhere! Personally I think that is more dangerous than the actual mosquitos. About half of our investigators have the dengue too but nothing too serious. The work is still going really good here, on Nov. 21 we have 5 baptisms schedualed with some really good people so hopefully they all work out. I think that has to be a record, 5 in one day in just one area! But I am loving the area I am in now and I want to stay here as long as I can! I am really close with a lot of the members and I love having them come teach with us! We have like 5 different young guys that always ask to come teach with us and it helps a lot! All the people here are just really chill and friendly and I love talking with them. The language is still getting better all the time! Im glad to hear everything is going good there though.

No comments:

Post a Comment